Indy Power Rankings for the Week of January 6th, 2014
- Raymond Rowe-It could be called a career defining weekend for Raymond Rowe as he went 3-0 and not only got ranked for the first time in the Indy Power Rankings, he was the clear cut #1. The big man took his show to Nashville for ROH over the weekend where he defeated Wildman Kongo and Corey Hollis to advance to the finals of the Top Prospect Tournament. If that wasn’t enough, he then went to Inspire Pro Wrestling where he scored one of the biggest wins of his career over Chris Hero. The future looks bright for Raymond Rowe.
- Matt Cage-Last week’s only unblemished member of the top 10 jumps up to the #2 spot this week after a victory over Stevie Fierce at Funky Munky Wrestling on 1/4/14. With a big SCW Heavyweight Title defense upcoming, expect him to be a strong contender for the #1 spot next week.
- Hanson-What a dominant weekend for “The Brand New Bad” as he entered the ROH Top Prospect Tournament and mowed through Cheeseburger and Andrew Everett to earn a spot in the finals. It was a meteoric rise for the big man, so now the question looms, can he complete his quest and win the tournament?
- Sigmon-Much like our #1 this week, it was a flawless weekend for the NWA Mountain Empire Champion as he retained that title at NWA Smoky Mountain vs. Shane Andrews on 1/4/14. He then defeated Jimmy Nutts at Beyond Wrestling’s Sleeper Cell Taping on the same day. If this week was any indication, look for more appearances from him in the Indy Power Rankings in the near future.
- RD Evans-A major surprise in the top 10 as Evans beat Mike Sells at ROH in Nashville, but then followed that up with an unexpected DQ victory over last week’s #1 in Michael Elgin. Could this be his chance to climb up the rankings? Like several others, this is his first appearance in the Indy Power Rankings.
- Drew Gulak-The CZW World Champion returns to the Indy Power Rankings in 2014 with a big victory vs. Shane Strickland at XCite Wrestling on 1/4/14. He has been entered into their annual tournament as well. Could 2014 be the year of Drew Gulak?
- Jason Kincaid-The NWA Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion retained his title vs. Jordan Kage on 1/4/14. In addition to that, earlier in the day he competed at the Beyond Sleeper Cell tapings where he defeated Jeff Connelly. This could be just the type of break Kincaid needs as he has been on the IPR radar for a very long time.
- JT Dunn-“The Juice” ventured to New England Frontier Wrestling over the weekend where he successfully defended his NEFW U.S. Title vs. Green Ant in a rematch of their Beyond Wrestling Tournament for Tomorrow 2 Finals Classic. With Shelly Martinez in his corner, can JT Dunn continue to climb the rankings?
- Zach Gowen-The one legged wonder had a week where he knocked off not one, but two members of the Top 10 from last week. At JCW on 12/31/13 he defeated last week’s #6 Colt Cabana and last week’s #9 Jimmy Jacobs in a 3 Way to score his first ranking of 2014. Gowen is on a roll right now.
- Ricky Morton-This would be a surprising name, but it’s not the first time this legend has graced the Indy Power Rankings as he managed to get ranked last year after a huge tournament victory. This time, it was his NWA Junior Heavyweight Title victory over Chase Owens at NWA Smoky Mountain that gets him a spot in the Top 10.
1st Honorable Mention. Matt Tremont-A huge victory at OPW on 1/4/14 vs. Eddie Kingston
2nd Honorable Mention. AJ Styles-A return to the indies and a victory vs. Roderick Strong at ROH
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 6th, 2014
1. Michael Hayes & Mohammad Ali Vaez-The OVW Southern Tag Team Champions were the only tag team from last week’s top 5 to compete this week and not only did they compete, they picked up a big title defense. On 1/4/14 at OVW’s Saturday Night Special they defeated The VIP Club of Jay Best & Roberto De Luna to retain their tag team titles.
2. Jax Dane & Rob Conway-The NWA World Tag Team Champions travelled to Japan where they successfully defended their titles vs. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) at NJPW New Year Dash at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo. After surprising a lot of people by winning the belts on 11/9/13, they’ve continued their reign in impressive fashion.
3. OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist)-The Crist brothers travelled to Big Japan over the weekend where they defeated Heisei Yakuza Duo (Kankuro Hoshino & Masato Inaba) in a tag team match on 1/2/14 and then followed that up with a victory in a Tables Match vs. Speed of Sounds (Hercules Senga & Tsutomu Oosugi) on 1/4/14. This Midwest tag team is becoming a global force.
4. BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs-“The Decade” reformed their tag team with a strong win on 1/4/14 vs. Adam Page & Mark Briscoe at ROH in Nashville. These former 2 time ROH World Tag Team Champions are back in the hunt for a possible third title reign as a team.
5. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows-BULLET CLUB added some more gold to their stable over the weekend as Anderson & Gallows defeated Killer Elite Squad to win their first titles as a team and improve their record as a team to 13-2. Unfortunately for them, they lost in a 6 Man Tag Match vs. Suzuki-gun (Killer Elite Squad & Shelton Benjamin) to drop to 13-3 and keep them from what appeared to be a lock for the #1 spot this week.
1st Honorable Mention. The Best Around (Bruce Maxwell & TJ Cannon)-Defeated The Beaver Boys on 1/4/14 at OPW Destroy Everything.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes: