Indy Power Rankings for the Week of January 20th, 2014
- Shane Hollister-Just call the AAW Heavyweight Champion “the model of consistency” so far in 2014. He has yet to lose a match, while also winning back the AAW Heavyweight title. Last week he was #3, this week he grabs his first ever #1 ranking after beating Mallaki Matthews at MVW in Donahue, IA. You can also call “The Shug”, “the sole survivor” as he was the only member of last week’s top 10 to remain unbeaten, but to also pick up a big win. With a title defense looming vs. Jimmy Jacobs on 1/24, look for him to not only battle to keep his title, but the #1 ranking as well.
- Corey Hollis-Country Jacked cruises into the Indy Power Rankings this week! Corey Hollis teamed with Adam Page for tag team victories on 1/17 and 1/19, but it was his win vs. Davey Richards on 1/18 at PWX that helped secure his spot in the top 10 this week. While Hollis may have come up short in the ROH Top Prospect Tournament, when it comes to the Indy Power Rankings, he stands tall near the top of the heap with a 3-0 weekend.
- Adam Page– See Corey Hollis. No, seriously, they had almost identical weekends. It’s the first ever ranking for this young ROH star. With that being said, it wasn’t his ROH win-loss record that got him in this week, it was his work elsewhere this weekend. He scored a big tag team win on 1/17 as he pinned the PWX Champion Caleb Konley in a tag team match, then flew to Wrestling Cares and defeated Adam Pearce, and finally flew back to PWX where he won a 4 Way Tag Team Match. Certainly he’ll be in consideration for #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 this week as well, but for now, he secures a VERY high ranking in the top 10 with a 3-0 weekend.
- Johnny Gargano-The DGUSA Open the Freedom Gate Champion started out 2014 a little slow after being a 5 time #1 last year, but over the last 2 weeks he has beaten 2 of the top singles wrestlers in the world. Last week it was Uhaa Nation (to retain the title he’s held for 800+ days). This week he went to Wrestling Cares where he won the Race for the Ring Tournament, defeating his new rival and ROH World Champion, Adam Cole in the finals. Now Johnny Gargano has a huge ring to show off around Cleveland…and a #4 ranking this week to go with it.
- Drake Younger-“The Ultra Violent Golden Boy” scores his first ranking of the year after successfully defending his PWB TV Title vs. Joey Ryan at Fighting Spirit Pro on 1/18. On 1/19 he went after the SPW Heavyweight Title vs. Sal Thomaselli and came out on top. Drake added a little more gold to his collection this week as Drake Younger continues to pile up wins all over the West Coast. Could the PWG World Title be in his sights next?
- AJ Styles-“The Phenomenal One” recently returned to the indies and since that time his record has been unblemished. First, he defeated Roderick Strong at ROH a couple of weeks ago, then he went to MAGNUM Wrestling and defeated Jaysin Strife in a hard fought battle on 1/17. Finally, he made his “Phenomenal Debut” at PWX, knocking off Cedric Alexander (and being the first person to do so in the Dream Match Series) to run his record to 3-0 since his return.
- Matt Cage-The SCW Heavyweight Champion proved to be “Money” once again as he went 2-0 over the weekend as he defeated Stevie Fierce on 1/17 and then picked up a tag team victory with Stevie Fierce on 1/18 vs. Christian Rose (last week’s #10) and Rob Matter at MVW.
- RJ Ruiz-This upcoming prospect entered himself into the EWF Inland Title Tournament 8 on 1/17, won 3 matches in one night vs. Juan Roman, Joey Barone, and B-Boy to win the tournament. With EWF running more frequently and RJ Ruiz really starting to establish himself, he’s a name you’ll want to look out for again in the very near future.
- Benjamin Kimera-Since the IPR 100 was compiled, the former Rockstar Pro Champion (and former 2 time #1 in the Indy Power Rankings) has been on a mission. He has been 4-0-1 since the list was put together and this week, he gets his name back into the top 10 after a 6 man tag team victory vs. Lil C, Draven, and Granger. He’s looking to continue this success to move up into the top spot for a 3rd time and the first in 2014.
- Green Ant-2 victories over the weekend at Wrestling is Fun! and Wrestling is Respect earn this former “Resilient Rookie” a spot in the top 10 once again. On 1/18/14 at WIF! he tagged with Fire Ant to defeat The Spectral Envoy (Blind Rage & Hallowicked). He followed that up with a victory over last week’s #1 Drew Gulak in a 30 Minute Iron Man Match at WIR. Look out for this very technical ant to continue to rise if he keeps this up.
1st Honorable Mention. Zack Sabre Jr.-3-1 weekend with wins over Chris Hero, Kazuki Hashimoto, and Big Van Walter
2nd Honorable Mention. David Starr-Won the XWA Xtreme Rumble on 1/18
3rd Honorable Mention. Hype Gotti-MAGNUM Wrestling Champion won 2 matches in 2 states…in 1 day
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 20th, 2014
1. Country Jacked (Corey Hollis & Adam Page)-What a weekend for Country Jacked! Not only were both members of this tag team ranked in the Indy Power Rankings top 10, as a unit they grab the #1 spot in the Tag Team Top 5. With wins vs. Cedric Alexander & Caleb Konley on 1/17 and a 4 Way Tag Team victory over Chase Brown & Kyle Matthews, Drew Myers & Shaun Tempers, and Lance Lude & Zane Riley. They’ve made it clear both inside and outside the ring that PWX is theirs for the taking.
2. Iron Godz (Rob Conway & Jax Dane)-The NWA World Tag Team Champions return to the Indy Power Rankings after a brief hiatus. This week they put their titles on the line at NWA BOW and retained vs. former WWE/ROH World Tag Team Champions Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas. With the title defenses racking up the question looms, when will they grab their first #1 ranking?
3. Da Soul Touchaz (Acid Jaz & Willie Richardson)-At RPW Vulgar Display of Power, this Midwest Tag Team did double duty as they retained the RPW Tag Team Titles vs. Lock Up (Aaron Epic & Suge D), only to be thrust into another title match where they retained once again vs. The Painkillers. They’ve been on the rise and hit the top 5 for the first time in its 4 week history.
4. Oliver John & Timothy Thatcher-On 1/18 this West Coast tag team defeated Joey Ryan & Rocky Romero to win the WCA Golden State Tag Team Titles in the finals of the tournament. Unfortunately, their scheduled opponents the Forever Hooligans were a man down, thus the Joey Ryan replacement. Surely another John/Thatcher vs. Forever Hooligans battle is on the horizon in 2014.
5. Team IOU (Kerry Awful & Nick Iggy)-The last several weeks this insane tag team has come within a vote or two of hitting the top 5. This week they finally cash it in on the strength of their HUGE victory over The Hooligans at CCW on 1/18. While they did lose in a Tag Team 3 Way on 1/17 at RPW (without getting pinned), they also defeated the Unlucky Charms at a benefit show in Nashville, TN on 1/19.
1st Honorable Mention. Baltic Siege (The Estonian Thunderfrog & Latvian Proud Oak)-Big weekend with wins at WIF! and WIR
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Brent Banks & Jae Rukin
Rochester Wrecking Crew