Indy Power Rankings for the Week of February 3rd, 2014
1. Matt Cage-It was another split vote this week for Indy Power Rankings voters, but in the end, “Money” Matt Cage barely grabs the #1 spot. It was his overall body of work in 2014 that helped earn him the top spot this week. He did, however, grab yet another victory this week as he defeated Mallaki Matthews at DREAMWAVE Season Premiere on 2/1. The SCW Heavyweight and AAW Heritage Champion has made 2014 absolutely “Money” on his way to his 2nd ever #1 ranking and his first this year.
2. Michael Elgin-Unranked last week, but #2 this week and why? Because “Unbreakable” lived up to his nickname by defeating the back to back #1 in Shane Hollister in a brutal battle at DREAMWAVE Season Premiere on 2/1. He came within inches of becoming the #1 this week, but ultimately didn’t quite have the votes, possibly due to his tag team loss in PWG’s DDT4 tournament. The Unbreakable F’N Machines did make the semi-finals in a good effort though. 2014, much like 2013, has seen a refocused Elgin dominate as he continues to show what “Elgin Mode” is all about.
3. Marcus Anthony-After being ranked #10 last week, the OVW Heavyweight Champion tore through the competition this week on the way to his highest ranking yet. He defeated ½ of the OVW Southern Tag Team Champions in Mohamed Ali Vaez on 1/29 and then followed that up with another victory over Johnny Spade on 2/1. He is on a path of destruction right now and it looks like he won’t stop until he reaches #1!
4. Chase Owens-The first ranking of 2014 for Chase Owens is a high one as he had a successful title defense vs. Lt. Falk on 1/31 at NWA SAW. Not one to rest on his laurels, he defeated Jason Kincaid in a NWA World Junior Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership TLC Match on 2/1 at NWA Smoky Mountain. “The Real Deal” is proving that collecting titles is something he’s an expert at.
5. Colt Cabana-“Boom Boom” is possibly the greatest ambassador to independent wrestling that the sport has ever known…and this week he gets ranked in the Indy Power Rankings once again. He had a much anticipated Best 2 out of 3 Falls match at National Pro Wrestling Day with former #1 in the IPR Drew Gulak, from which he emerged victorious. This independent star has been in and out of the Indy Power Rankings in 2014, but he has yet to reach the #1 spot. Can he maintain some consistency and accomplish yet another goal on the indies?
6. Ryan Howe-Say what you want about Ryan Howe and the auspicious start to his career at Tough Enough…but what you have to admit is that recently…he flat out wins. He is on a meteoric rise at OVW right now, winning something in the range of 10 or 11 straight at this point. This week he defeated Jay Bradley once again in a Submission Match at OVW Saturday Night Special. Time will tell if he can continue this white hot win streak he’s on.
7. Dave Crist-1/2 of Ohio is for Killers (OI4K) gets in this week after two more big wins. On 1/29 at Rockstar Pro, he defeated Kyle Maverick, Austin Bradley, and Trice in a 4 Way, before traveling to Clarksville, IN where he teamed with Apollo & Jake Crist to defeat Kyle Maverick, Austin Bradley, & Gabriel Gray. While he may be most known for tag team wrestling (a former #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 in fact), he is also tearing it up in singles in 2014.
8. Tony Sly-While Tony Sly may not be someone that everyone is familiar with, he is starting to become a force to be reckoned with. Over the weekend he picked up one of his bigger wins as he defeated Gage Octane for the 3XW Heavyweight Championship in Des Moines, Iowa. Call him what you want as he looks down upon you for eating Cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew, but you better call him a champion. He won’t give you any other choice.
9. B-Boy-“The New Age Punisher” hits the top 10 for the first time in 2014. He’s come very close, but strangely had not quite made it yet. This week he gets in after a tag team victory with Willie Mack vs. The RockNES Monsters at QPW on 2/1. His recent winning streak has been quite impressive on the West Coast. Can he bring that same type of success back to the Midwest again?
10. Dasher Hatfield-In what many would consider the biggest upset of the weekend, “The Old Timey King of Swing” defeated the first (and last?) CHIKARA Grand Champion Eddie Kingston at National Pro Wrestling Day 2014. It was a huge victory for Hatfield, which spring boarded him into the top 10 for the very first time.
1st Honorable Mention. Kevin Steen-Defeated Chris Hero at QPW, reached the DDT4 Semi-Finals.
2nd Honorable Mention. Green Ant-Won a HUGE 10 Man Tag Team Match at NPWD ’14.
3rd Honorable Mention. Drake Younger-Defeated Chris Hero, Kyle O’Reilly, and Johnny Gargano in a 4 Way at PWG, but fell to Adam Thornstowe at QPW.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Zack Sabre Jr.
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of February 3rd, 2014
1. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent ?)-6-0 as a team. Let that sink in. Over the weekend they won perhaps the most prestigious tag team tournament in North America as they outlasted 7 other teams to win PWG’s DDT4 2014. 3 wins in one night vs. The RockNES Monsters, Adam Cole & Kevin Steen, and The Inner City Machine Guns EARNED them the UNANIMOUS #1 ranking this week. Perhaps a PWG World Tag Team Title run is on the horizon for this undefeated tag team.
2. Michael Hayes & Mohamad Ali Vaez-For the second straight week, the OVW Southern Tag Team Champions are #2 in the Indy Power Rankings. This week they defeated Mobile Homers (Adam Revolver & Ted McNaler) to not only retain their titles, but to run Ted McNaler right out of OVW. They STILL have not lost a match as a team since December 7th, 2013.
3. Black Hand Warriors (Michael Magnuson & David Delorean)-This week the WLW Tag Team Champions added another set of tag team titles to their trophy case as they defeated The Bum Rush Brothers for the Dynamo Pro Tag Team Titles. This is the first ranking in the top 5 for the double champions and with them collecting gold at a frantic pace, it’s likely it won’t be their last. Check them out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BlackHandWarriors
4. OI4K (Jake & Dave Crist)-It was another successful week for the former #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 as they teamed with Apollo at D1W to defeat Kyle Maverick, Austin Bradley, & Gabriel Gray in 6 man tag team competition. With two big Rockstar Pro shows coming up this week, this could be their chance to recapture the #1 ranking.
5. Inner City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet)-While they may not have the greatest win-loss record as a team, they have never failed to impress. This weekend they got to the finals of DDT4 before ultimately falling to Best Friends in the finals. A 2-1 night in PWG is nothing to be ashamed of, and in fact, it gets them into the Top 5 for the very first time. Their victories were vs. ACH & AR Fox and The Unbreakable F’N Machines.
1st Honorable Mention. Helter Skelter (Alex Castle & Markus Crane)-Retained the DWW titles at DREAMWAVE Season Premiere in a big 4 Way Match.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
The Baltic Siege
Sexy & Smooth
Aaron Williams & Ron Mathis